Vegan Wheaten Bread
Wheaten Bread is popular in Ireland, (known as Wheaten Bread in the North and as Soda Bread in the South) and is traditionally made with buttermilk. It is a yeast-free bread and is therefore very quick to make.
- 4 cups coarse wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups soya milk
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 8, 450°F, 230°C
- Sieve flour into mixing bowl
- Add the salt, sugar and baking soda and mix lightly by hand letting ingredients fall lightly to leave some air in mixture
- Add soya milk and vinegar. (Lemon juice works also instead of vinegar to help the bread rise. This simulates the raising agents.)
- Mix until you have a moist dough. Knead the dough lightly (not too much).
- Form into a round loaf about 8-9 inches in diameter, place on a lightly floured baking tray
- Bake in the top of the oven for 40 minutes
- When baked the loaf will sound hollow when rapped on the bottom.
- Wrap immediately in a clean tea-towel to stop crust hardening too much.